AUDITION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO MAY 31
Why audition for the NSYO?
The Nova Scotia Youth Orchestra provides both orchestral and communal experiences for the young musicians in our province.
The orchestral experience is unique in that ensemble playing allows musicians to interact with music in a new and engaging level. At the Nova Scotia Youth Orchestra, the high-level repertoire as well as the communal effort and dedication involved in each performance is an exciting challenge for all players.
The Nova Scotia Youth Orchestra has established itself as an organization of high quality and is recognized nation-wide. This allows us to work with excellent people from across Canada. You’ll have the opportunity to work with our Juno award-winning conductor, Dinuk Wijeratne, and professional musicians from Symphony Nova Scotia as coaches.
Last but not least, the NSYO is a place to find common ground between individuals, to make connections with fellow musicians who share the same interests, and to meet people who can introduce you to new interests.
We are proud to be representing the youth of our province and welcome you to join us on our journey into music.
- Professional performing opportunities both locally and regionally
- Networking with industry professionals
- Participation in special workshops and masterclasses
- Exclusive opportunity to train with award-winning Composer/Music Director Dinuk Wijeratne
- Opportunity to perform alongside internationally-acclaimed guest artists
- Opportunity to apply for bursaries (for those in financial need)
- Opportunity to meet and work with equally talented young musicians
- Lifetime pride of being a distinguished alumnus/alumna of the orchestra
Each year, the NSYO holds auditions for entrance into the orchestra. These auditions are done by video, consisting of a short solo, scales, study and orchestral excerpts. To view the individual instrument requirements, download the following PDF:
The auditions are open to all musicians between age 12 and 26, and are judged by a panel consisting of the Music Director and the appropriate instrument coaches.
A $25.00 non-refundable fee must be included with the application form or can be sent via e-transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications should be received by the NSYO office no later than May 31st, 2018 (please contact us if you will delayed in applying).
The video audition should be a file privately uploaded to YouTube, Vimeo or another online file-hosting software. For more information, please contact us.
If you haven’t received an answer within two weeks of your audition video submission, please email email@example.com